Friday, May 25, 2012

Hail, Caesars!

I went running this morning.  It was Week 5, Day 3 of my Couch to 5K program (I started over at week 3 after surgery...don't judge) so I knew I had a 20 minute, nonstop run ahead of me and it kind of made me want to pee my pants.  I mapped it all out with the intention of hitting 2 miles in that time (I am so not there yet) and waited for the perfect morning to hit the road.  In order for this story to have any impact at all, I have to tell you that I don't usually listen to music when I run.  I did when I first started, but then a friend of mine who runs every day says she runs without headphones so she can hear cars and dogs and anything else that might be lurking around her when she's out.  (My brain went to "serial killers" of course.)  That freaked me out so I promptly began leaving my (brand new, totally cool) headphones at home.  This morning though, I set my new phone to play music with the C25K program, made a running playlist, and popped in only one headphone.  Tah Dah!  Exercise without the fear of early-morning dismemberment!  I put the playlist on shuffle and headed out the door.

(Completely unrelated sidenote:  I left the house about 5 minutes after 14 year old boy-child left to walk to school.  At one point in my warm up walk, I was directly across the street from him and he was facing me with 2 of his friends.  I jokingly waved and called his name in my best "Yoo Hoo" voice and the kid COMPLETELY ignored me and turned the corner.  It wasn't an angry thing, it was as if my hot-pink jersey'd being did not even exist on the other side of the road.  Really?  He is so getting kissed in public at the next opportunity.  Any other embarrassing ideas are welcome, and please know that I have no shame.)

I finished the first mile and walked for 2 houses.  I didn't want to lose too much momentum, so I picked it back up right away.  I made it about halfway back and was starting to get a teeny tiny bit ready to be done when the song "Jerk It Out" by the Caesars came on.  I was wondering if I was going to be able to complete my 20 minutes when the line "I'll be running circles around you sooner than you know" came on.  Oh, okay.  That's good.  Keep Running.  I tune out a little again, and then the lyric "cause it's easy once you know how it's done, you can't stop now it's already begun" comes on and I find my inner beast and not only finish the 20 minute, but run for 2 minutes more to complete the 2 mile course for bragging rights. Truthfully, I don't even want to know what the song is about (I suspect a bit of ewww-factor in there), but those two lines were just what I needed at just the right time so I will be running with one headphone from now on.  And pepper spray.

Help me complete my playlist, please?  What songs do I need to make my run better?

No comments:

Post a Comment