Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ahhh, Technology!

Well, I did it...I bought a treadmill.  I run outside 99% of the time and I love the fresh air, the sounds of the birds, and getting a feel for the happenings in my neighborhood.  I just find it peaceful.  Sadly, I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I also find it cold and wet most of the time.  A little cold and wet is okay, but our schizo weather is not to be trusted and I have been caught in more than one "monsoon", as well as frozen my toukas off when it was down in the 40 degree range this winter.  That being said, I still had no plans to buy a treadmill because I know me:  I would want the zippy, spendy one with all the gadgets and that's just not in the budget.  Or so I thought.  Turns out I know a guy.  Without selling an organ, I am now the proud owner of a truly cool machine and have run this week in Paris, Central Park, and the Vegas strip...all without leaving the garage thanks to Ifit and GoogleMaps.  I have logged way too much time designing my own running routes all over the globe.  This week I have Hawaii, Beverly Hills, and Sidney...maybe I'll stop by 42 Wallaby Way. I will still do most of my running outside, but I am finding that I really like having the option.  Oh, and BONUS:  we had to clean the garage before it was delivered and I was able to take 3 truckloads of stuff to Goodwill.  I love purging.

I told my physical therapist yesterday that I want to break up.  I just feel like I'm done with going in every week to do the same damned exercises I do every day at home.  They have been WONDERFUL and taken such great care of me, but I feel like I need to move on.  It's not them...it's me.  I have one more visit in 2 weeks with the big guy there, then another visit with my surgeon, and then I think I can probably put this whole shoulder thing behind me.  I'm not 100%, but I'm probably 85-90% and I'm okay with that.

This is a momentous week for others in my household:  Child number 3 got her drivers permit on Friday and begins drivers ed classes on Monday...consider yourself warned.  Next week is big for another reason as Child number 2 turns 16 and will be able to get her driver's license, carry her cell phone, and be allowed to date.  Yes, we are those mean parents that make them wait to date and I think it's one of the best rules we have.  They are spared a lot of drama so they can spend a few more years focused on growing into confident people who will be better equipped to handle a relationship when it happens.  Oh, and just for the record--I met my husband when he was 14 and I was 16...and I told him I wouldn't date him until he was 16.  So there you go.

We are counting down to our summer vacation but we're keeping our chosen location a secret from the kids until everything is reserved.  Until then, we keep telling them we are heading to "Dino Town"   (a location better suited to 4 year olds) and we're playing that schtick as long as we can because we're evil and like to mess with them.  This is payback for sleepless nights and spit-up on all our clothes,  it's our due and it's FUN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment