Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Back out there

As many of you know, 2011 was a year of change.  My daughters and I embarked on a weight-loss challenge the day after returning from a week-long vacation of food, rain, and more food.  Frankly, I was tired of the tears everytime we needed to buy new clothing:  we had hit the end of the sizes available on the racks and it was time to either lose the weight or find some new stores.  We started WW online and started seeing results immediately.  In August, I was inspired to start running.  I went out a few times on my own, found I didn't die, and decided I should do it the smart way and downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone.  I highly recommend this program to anyone who has caught the running bug!  I quickly progressed and ran my first 4 mile run for arthritis in November.  That's it--I was hooked.  I was scouting the local sites, picking out the 5k's, 10k's, and 1/2 marathons I was going to sign up for and basing the success of my day on whether or not I had 45 minutes to run before it was dark.  My husband bought me beautiful new running clothes for Christmas that I was able to wear for exactly 1 week before my body said..."Nope, sorry but we're done here."

What?!  But I'm healthy!  I am down 30 pounds, running 12 - 15 miles a week--whatdya mean we're "done"?!  Well, my joints have always been crummy.  My ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders, hips--all of 'em kind of stink.  They are weak, and they can predict the weather--not a skill I appreciate.  Now, my shoulder has suddenly "frozen" and aches 24/7.  Three weeks and one MRI later, I learn that I have multiple issues with my shoulder and surgery is necessary.  Fabulous.   Surgery is done March 15th, and the doctor informs us that I have one of the worst shoulders he has ever seen.  Really?  May I remind you I have a desk job?  I don't golf, swim, pitch baseballs, play tennis or anything that would logically lead to the kind of damage I have.  I have developed a new hatred for the word "idiopathic" as it's just a fancy way for the docs to shrug their (perfectly healthy) shoulders and say "We don't know...that will be $12,000".  I have taken more painkillers in 3 months than I have in my entire life but I am DONE with all of them for the sake of my gasping liver. I now take ibuprofen a few times a day and it gets me through the day. Physical Therapy three times a week keeps me humble, but I keep telling myself that I am a beast and they assure me I am progressing quite well. 

Fast forward to today.  I am 4 weeks post op and just went for my first run!  I was afraid I would have to start over, but I was able to start with the Week 4, Run 1 for 4 reasons:

1.  4 is my favorite number.  (I know, but go with it.)
2.  I have 2 friends that recently started the program, and that is where they are--maybe we can do a
     run together when we complete it.  (Brenda, we can run together in spirit because I can't come to
     Tennesee!)
3.  I was 4 weeks post-op, so it seemed almost poetic,
4.  I am too damned ornery to start at the beginning again.  4 weeks is over 1/3 of the way through
     and my ego was fine with that.

I didn't go very fast, I wanted to throw up at the 1 mile mark, and I'm pretty sure the nice older men that said hi to me were more than a little concerned with my red-faced wheezing...but I did it.  And what's more, I'm gonna do it again tomorrow.

It's good to be back out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment